If your family is like mine, mornings can be nothing short of hectic. One of the things that tends to take the longest is getting everyone fed and making sure that each kid gets all the nourishment and energy they’ll need for a day of learning and play ahead. I’m always looking for simple, do-ahead ways to get parts of breakfast ready, and this simple banana muffin recipe is by far one of my faves. It contains no grains and no dairy so it’s perfectly safe for anyone in your family on a gluten-free, grain-free, or dairy-free diet.
It’s made up of just a few basic ingredients and a few that may be a first for your kitchen. If your local health food shop doesn’t stock this stuff, try online markets which often offer free shipping for perishable items.
2 mashed bananas (very ripe is ok)
1/2 cup coconut flower
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
6 eggs (room temperature works better with the coconut oil)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/2 tsp baking powder
salt (a pinch or to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees – prepare 12 muffin cups lined with paper
2. In medium mixing bowl sift dry ingredients together, mix well
3. In separate bowl whisk wet ingredients together, combine well.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mix well.
5. Divide batter into muffin cups.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
These freeze really well and make for a filling, grain free addition to lunch boxes. That’s it!