Stress is the root of nearly all of our health problems – no doubt about it. How you manage (or don’t manage) your stress can have a profound impact on your health. Yes, that includes your eczema!
According to Tim Jewell and Debra Sullivan, PhD, MSN, CNE, COI of Healthline, stress causes a spike in the hormone, cortisol, and this excess of cortisol leads to abnormally oil skin which can ultimately cause an eczema outbreak. To make things even worse, according to Jewell and Sullivan, stress can also extend the life of an eczema outbreak, leaving you more stressed.
Knowing all of this, what can you do to prevent stress?
Below are just some relaxation techniques that are parent and kid friendly! Different people relax differently, so it might take some trial and error. If reading stresses you out, put the book down, and try something else! If your little one doesn’t enjoy the visualization, put on some relaxing music and take a few moments to stretch.
- Deep breathing – try box breathing or simply taking multiple slow and intentional deep breaths
- Coloring – this can be useful for you or your little one!
- Walking – 30 minutes of brisk walking in the sunshine
- Reading – take yourself out of your thoughts and pick up a good book
- Visualization – take a visual journey to your happy place
- Laugh – tell jokes, make silly faces, watch a funny cartoon
- Stretch – take a few minutes to stretch and focus on your breath
- Music – listen to calm music and let it take you away
Really commit to incorporating at least one of these relaxation techniques into your family’s life every day. It might feel overwhelming at first, but once relaxation becomes a habit, it will pay you back ten times!